Skip to main content

WEEK 13: SUPERHEROES RECONSIDERED

Image result for magnificent ms marvel"
For this week I read a bunch of “The Magnificent Ms. Marvel” series from Marvel. Overall, it was a pretty fun and quick read (I could only find 9 issues). Typically, I don’t go for this category, meaning I don’t really read or watch a lot of superhero comics/ films. I know that it is one of the biggest fandoms out there and with the current trends of DC and Marvel, I can’t see that fandom dying down anytime soon. I believe that it doesn’t really appeal to my taste because it feels very formulaic and repetitive in terms of story and character archetypes. I definitely appreciate the creativity of the designs and super powers, but after a while I find myself feeling kind of immune to the same situations and storylines. I did find Ms. Marvel to be interesting though, and I loved the specificity to the culture. Kamala could just say mom and dad, but calling them “abu and ammi” made her feel more genuine. I also enjoyed reading the little light-hearted moments, like the “flirting” between Kamala and Cheb Hura. I thought it was a nice change throughout the comic, that way it wasn’t too “heroic” or serious the whole time. That being said, however, I didn’t quite understand some of the time jumps in certain issues. It felt really sudden and it took me a few pages in to get what was going on. Especially with Bruno, it felt like we (the reader) hadn’t seen him in a few issues and then they kissed almost out of nowhere. To be fair, I haven’t read previous series of Ms. Marvel so there is a lot of her story that I am not aware of. But things like this feel more like a structural issue rather than missing contextual details in my opinion.

My favorite aspect of the comic was the art by far. Her design and the style of the comic were super appealing to me. The extreme foreshortening and straight edges mixed with curved lines made the characters stand out as I was reading, especially with Ms. Marvel whenever she stretched her limbs. A lot of the panels were nicely laid out to compliment the poses, having a wide variety in sizing so the reader wouldn’t get bored too quickly.
I guess I could say that though I had fun reading this series, I wouldn’t see myself following up with it or becoming a big fan. The artwork is probably the biggest reason why I would consider reading more in the future, not so much with the story. I still believe that Ms. Marvel is a pretty successful modern superhero comic.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WEEK 6: UNDERGROUND COMICS

For this week, I read a selection of underground comics on the course resource page. I did manage to read through Robert Crumb’s Mr. Natural as well, and I honestly don’t know how to comprehend most of these. To put it bluntly, I didn’t enjoy reading any of these comics. It was kind of like a culture shock to me since I had never seen or heard anything like these before. The humor was too crude and sexual for my taste, and the drawings were also hard to follow sometimes. I found a lot of the comics to have too much going on in one panel, and having unsettling body proportions. It was strange how much illegal sexual activity was found in these comics, like child molestation and bestiality. Overall, it was chaotic and overwhelming to look at. I understand that the times were very different and that these were a form of artistic expression against the societal norms, hence the term “underground,” but there were so many times where these comics just went way overboa

WEEK 15: WIDE WORLD OF COMICS (REVISED FROM WEEK 9)

For my last blogpost, I decided to revise my week 9 blogpost where I discussed “Pyongyang.” After reading through it again, I thought that I didn’t give as much personal insight into it compared to my other blogposts. So, here we go again: “Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea” by Guy Delisle was the retelling of his experience living in North Korea for two months. Rather than being a journal or diary, the narrative style felt like a really long, traditional comic strip. The storytelling had similarities to “Maus” because of the non-fictional content. However, it was not as captivating and visually impactful as “Maus.” To be honest, I think I was expecting something more from this comic. I wanted to feel enlightened and moved, and walk away from this comic with a new perspective on this country. It was partially my fault for having these high expectations, but overall I did find this comic to be an interesting read. I probably wouldn’t remember it after a while, but I

In-Class Blog: KILLING JOKE RESPONSE

1. What is your reaction to the text you just read? I've actually been wanting to read The Killing Joke  for a long time, so I'm glad that I was finally to. People have raved over this comic for being completely original and a unique take on the Joker. I would say the same after reading through it. The story was really captivating and kept me interested the whole way. Especially after watching the Joker  film that recently came out, there is this strange limbo feeling of wanting to be sympathetic but also morally correct. Nevertheless, I felt like I understood the Joker more as a character with a troubled past, rather than just a tacky villain. This comic allowed the reader to step inside the madness that drove him to be where he stands today. I also love a good backstory, so that was a plus for me. The only thing that put me off was the part about Barbara. I am aware that the criticism for this subject has been made constantly, and even Alan Moore himself regrets the story c