Skip to main content

In-Class Blog: KILLING JOKE RESPONSE

1. What is your reaction to the text you just read?

I've actually been wanting to read The Killing Joke for a long time, so I'm glad that I was finally to. People have raved over this comic for being completely original and a unique take on the Joker. I would say the same after reading through it. The story was really captivating and kept me interested the whole way. Especially after watching the Joker film that recently came out, there is this strange limbo feeling of wanting to be sympathetic but also morally correct. Nevertheless, I felt like I understood the Joker more as a character with a troubled past, rather than just a tacky villain. This comic allowed the reader to step inside the madness that drove him to be where he stands today. I also love a good backstory, so that was a plus for me. The only thing that put me off was the part about Barbara. I am aware that the criticism for this subject has been made constantly, and even Alan Moore himself regrets the story choice, so I don't feel the need to go too deep into it.

2. What connections did you make with this story, discuss which elements you were able to connect?

I think the story was trying to showcase the problems of society in regards to how differently people are treated. The Joker, who is a mentally unstable villain, made a big speech towards the end of the comic that anyone can go insane and that all it takes is one bad day. He tries to get Batman on the same level, questioning him about his troubled past. Batman represents the opposite, the voice of reason, and he even goes to the lengths of extending a helping hand. This duality of two troubled characters going in different directions made a great contrast in the comic. People could probably (on a base level) relate to the struggles of both and see the two sides. I think that for myself, I didn't find this comic relatable. I guess if I were to make a personal connection to the comic, it would be at the end. When Batman is trying so hard to help the Joker because he doesn't want either one of them to hurt each other anymore, the Joker actually becomes serious and apologize. That moment made me think about people that I've tried to come to terms with, but failed to do so.

3. What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium?

Personally, I would love to see this made as a live action film. I think that I still have many post-Joker thoughts, so any film starring this character would be interesting for me to watch. Like many other fans of this comic, I'd agree with the idea of taking out the assault of Barbara. I understood why it was there, but honestly it didn't do a lot for the plot. There are many others ways to simulate madness to her father. He could have been tricked into thinking she was kidnapped and held hostage somewhere. I think the whole situation of stripping her down and taking unwanted photographs just really disturbs me, so I definitely wouldn't want to watch that play out in any media format.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WEEK 6: UNDERGROUND COMICS

For this week, I read a selection of underground comics on the course resource page. I did manage to read through Robert Crumb’s Mr. Natural as well, and I honestly don’t know how to comprehend most of these. To put it bluntly, I didn’t enjoy reading any of these comics. It was kind of like a culture shock to me since I had never seen or heard anything like these before. The humor was too crude and sexual for my taste, and the drawings were also hard to follow sometimes. I found a lot of the comics to have too much going on in one panel, and having unsettling body proportions. It was strange how much illegal sexual activity was found in these comics, like child molestation and bestiality. Overall, it was chaotic and overwhelming to look at. I understand that the times were very different and that these were a form of artistic expression against the societal norms, hence the term “underground,” but there were so many times where these comics just went way overboa

WEEK 15: WIDE WORLD OF COMICS (REVISED FROM WEEK 9)

For my last blogpost, I decided to revise my week 9 blogpost where I discussed “Pyongyang.” After reading through it again, I thought that I didn’t give as much personal insight into it compared to my other blogposts. So, here we go again: “Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea” by Guy Delisle was the retelling of his experience living in North Korea for two months. Rather than being a journal or diary, the narrative style felt like a really long, traditional comic strip. The storytelling had similarities to “Maus” because of the non-fictional content. However, it was not as captivating and visually impactful as “Maus.” To be honest, I think I was expecting something more from this comic. I wanted to feel enlightened and moved, and walk away from this comic with a new perspective on this country. It was partially my fault for having these high expectations, but overall I did find this comic to be an interesting read. I probably wouldn’t remember it after a while, but I