Skip to main content

WEEK 6: UNDERGROUND COMICS


Image result for mr natural
For this week, I read a selection of underground comics on the course resource page. I did manage to read through Robert Crumb’s Mr. Natural as well, and I honestly don’t know how to comprehend most of these. To put it bluntly, I didn’t enjoy reading any of these comics. It was kind of like a culture shock to me since I had never seen or heard anything like these before. The humor was too crude and sexual for my taste, and the drawings were also hard to follow sometimes. I found a lot of the comics to have too much going on in one panel, and having unsettling body proportions. It was strange how much illegal sexual activity was found in these comics, like child molestation and bestiality. Overall, it was chaotic and overwhelming to look at. I understand that the times were very different and that these were a form of artistic expression against the societal norms, hence the term “underground,” but there were so many times where these comics just went way overboard. Explicit content is not always “dirty” when put in artistic context, and sometimes it brings a higher level of meaning to the piece. I am forgiving of it when it is deemed necessary and done respectfully. However, I felt like these comics were just trying too hard. I don’t really understand the reason as to why these artists made such a big effort in upsetting people like this, but I guess that was all part of the underground comic culture. It made me wonder why they decided to pursue this type of path with their art. It must have been a strong desire for defiance, otherwise there is no need to publish such graphic work.  
Moving past the initial shock factor, I don’t think a lot of these are even successful comics. Comics are a visual approach to storytelling, and I found no substance in most of these underground comics. It felt like the artists were more focused on displaying explicit material than telling a strong story. At least now I know what to stay away from in regards to comics.

Comments

  1. I agree with a lot of what you said regarding the comics and I honestly didn't enjoy a lot of them either (YOU SAW ME IN CLASS) However I do think some of the artwork was interesting at least, not enough to read these again though. There is definitely a sense that the artists were trying too hard though.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

WEEK 15: WIDE WORLD OF COMICS (REVISED FROM WEEK 9)

For my last blogpost, I decided to revise my week 9 blogpost where I discussed “Pyongyang.” After reading through it again, I thought that I didn’t give as much personal insight into it compared to my other blogposts. So, here we go again: “Pyongyang: A Journey in North Korea” by Guy Delisle was the retelling of his experience living in North Korea for two months. Rather than being a journal or diary, the narrative style felt like a really long, traditional comic strip. The storytelling had similarities to “Maus” because of the non-fictional content. However, it was not as captivating and visually impactful as “Maus.” To be honest, I think I was expecting something more from this comic. I wanted to feel enlightened and moved, and walk away from this comic with a new perspective on this country. It was partially my fault for having these high expectations, but overall I did find this comic to be an interesting read. I probably wouldn’t remember it after a while, but I

In-Class Blog: KILLING JOKE RESPONSE

1. What is your reaction to the text you just read? I've actually been wanting to read The Killing Joke  for a long time, so I'm glad that I was finally to. People have raved over this comic for being completely original and a unique take on the Joker. I would say the same after reading through it. The story was really captivating and kept me interested the whole way. Especially after watching the Joker  film that recently came out, there is this strange limbo feeling of wanting to be sympathetic but also morally correct. Nevertheless, I felt like I understood the Joker more as a character with a troubled past, rather than just a tacky villain. This comic allowed the reader to step inside the madness that drove him to be where he stands today. I also love a good backstory, so that was a plus for me. The only thing that put me off was the part about Barbara. I am aware that the criticism for this subject has been made constantly, and even Alan Moore himself regrets the story c